Ready to turn in your application? Use this list to make sure your packet is complete:
- Application to graduate study
- Application for Virginia in-state tuition (if applicable)
- Personal statement, mailed to the appropriate graduate program or submitted with the online application
- $65 application fee
- Send three references, unless otherwise stated by your department.
- References can email their letters to GRADIMAG@vcu.edu; they must include your full name and the program you’re applying to in the subject line.
- School of the Arts applicants are required to submit references online. Refer to the VCUarts How to Apply page for instructions on submitting references.
- Mailed letters must be in a sealed envelope signed across the seal and addressed to the appropriate graduate program.
- Official transcripts from prior colleges or universities (once submitted, these may not be returned to the prospective student, or sent to other third-party entities)
- All official transcripts must be in sealed envelopes signed across the seal by an official registrar.
- All official transcripts in a foreign language must be accompanied by an official English translation.
- Prospective graduate students who have studied outside of the United States must provide an external credential evaluation as part of the admissions process. For those seeking graduate admission to VCU, a NACES-accredited external evaluation of your foreign credentials will be required with your application. This report should be sealed, unopened and sent directly to the International Admissions department. All official transcripts and relevant credentials (e.g., diplomas) will be required if admitted. Common examples of accepted evaluations include AACRAO, WES, and ECE.
- Official test scores, if required by your program. Scores must be directly reported to VCU by testing agencies. You can submit student copies pending receipt of official scores. An official copy must be received before a final offer of admission can be made. The school code for admission testing is 5570.
- Your resume, if requested by the department to which you are applying
- Any supplemental materials required by individual programs
- School of the Arts applicants required to submit a portfolio should refer to the VCUarts How to Apply page for instructions on submitting a portfolio.
- School of Education applicants for elementary or secondary education programs must take and pass the Praxis II and Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment in the semester prior to internship/student teaching.
- The deadline for internship applications is Sept. 1 for spring and Feb. 1 for fall. Those wishing to take Praxis II and VCLA exams should consult the test administration dates and test score reporting dates so that they have, in hand, their scores by the internship application deadline dates. Information on registration is available online at http://ets.org/praxis/register for the Praxis II and www.va.nesinc.com/for the VCLA.
Once complete, mail your application materials to:
Virginia Commonwealth University
Office of Admissions
P.O. Box 843051
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3051