Apply to VCU
You’ve selected a graduate program at Virginia Commonwealth University and are ready to apply — here’s a run-through of everything you need to gather before submitting your application.
- Fill out the online application if you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Otherwise, refer to the International Admissions website for admissions information.
- Review application requirements for your program in the Graduate Bulletin. If the program requires supplemental application materials such as reference letters or resumes, send them directly to the program unless it asks you to send all documents to the Office of Admissions.
- If your name has changed since you last attended, applied to, worked for or filed for financial aid at VCU, you must note your previous and current name on all submitted documents.
- Make sure to submit a separate application, application fee and complete set of official documentation for each graduate program you apply for.
Late applications might be accepted under some circumstances, but students who do not apply at least one month before the semester begins risk losing eligibility for financial aid.
A nonrefundable $65 application fee is required with each graduate program application. You will be asked to submit your payment at the end of your online application.
For questions about transferring graduate credits, contact the director of the program to which you’re applying.
For in-state tuition rates, you must be a Virginia resident or provide clear documentation that you are living in Virginia for a primary purpose other than attending school. Your Graduate School letter of acceptance will state your residency status.
All graduate and professional program applicants must submit a personal statement about why they are interested in a particular graduate program. The statement should include:
- Your career goals and how the graduate program would help you meet those goals
- Prior work and life experiences related to your interest and aptitude for the program
- Your perception of your intellectual capability to successfully complete the graduate program
- Information about academic honors or professional awards, including scholarships, fellowships, prizes, honorary society memberships, publications, inventions or other creative work
If appropriate, attach a resume or vita that includes all relevant information and professional designations. The personal statement should be sent to the appropriate graduate program address.
Three letters of reference are required for each program. Letters should address your academic and professional abilities and preparation for graduate study.
Complete Section I of each reference form before sending it to your reference along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
Instruct your references to seal the envelope, sign across the seal and return the reference form to you. Do not break the seal. The contents will not be released to you or anyone else except the admissions committee if you sign the waiver of your right to inspect the reference.
References can also email their letters to GRADIMAG@vcu.edu; they must include your full name and the program you’re applying to in the subject line. School of the Arts applicants are required to submit references online.
You must submit one official copy of all final transcripts from each institution you have attended. Each final transcript should indicate the degree conferred from the institution and should be sent to VCU in envelopes sealed by the institution issuing the documents. Transcripts stamped with “Issued to Student” are accepted if the sealed envelope has not been opened. Please note that a transcript from every institution you have attended is required.
Official transcripts that are not in English must be accompanied by an official English translation. The Office of Admissions reserves the right to request English translations of diplomas prior to granting admission.
Prospective graduate students who have studied outside of the United States must provide an external credential evaluation as part of the admissions process. For those seeking graduate admission to VCU, a NACES-accredited external evaluation of your foreign credentials will be required with your application. This report should be sealed, unopened and sent directly to the International Admissions department. All official transcripts and relevant credentials (e.g., diplomas) will be required if admitted. Common examples of accepted evaluations include AACRAO, WES, and ECE.
Security and fire safety report
Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to assisting all members of the community in providing for their own safety and security. The current annual security and fire safety report is available on the VCU website located at http://www.police.vcu.edu/docs/CampusSafetyReport.pdf .
If you would like to receive a hard copy of the report, you can stop by the VCU Police Department at 938 W. Grace St. or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling (804) 828-6334.
The report contains information regarding campus security, personal safety, and fire and crime statistics related to our university community.